Paete is a 4th class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. According to the latest census, it has a population of 24,696 people in 5,101 households.
The town, pronounced Pī-té, long i, short guttural ê, is located at the northeastern part ofLaguna, along the shores of picturesque Laguna de Bay. It was founded in 1580 by Spanish friars Juan de Plasencia and Diego de Oropesa of the Franciscan Order. It is believed that the earliest inhabitants were of Malay lineage, coming all the way from Borneo in their swift and sturdy boats called "Balangay". The town is made famous by craftsmen highly skilled in woodcarving and its embellishment.
Paete has come a long way from what Jose Rizal describes as that town from whose "carpenter shops" were issued images "even those more rudely carved" (chapter VI, Noli Me Tangere ). Even now, its inhabitants (called Paeteños or Paetenians) continue with their centuries-old tradition in carving and painting. Rizal would feel proud of the town's masterpieces, evident in statues, pulpits, murals and bas relief found in churches, palaces and museums all over the world—among them the St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York, the Mission Dolorosa in San Francisco, the San Cayetano Church in Mexico, the St. Joseph's shrine in Sta. Cruz, California, various churches in the Philippines and the Ayala Museum in Makati, Philippines. The official town hero is not a statesman nor a soldier but a woodcarver, the master artisan Mariano Madriñan, whose obra maestra, the life-like Mater Dolorosa, was honored by the King of Spain with a prestigious award in Amsterdam in 1882. The town was proclaimed "the Carving Capital of the Philippines" on March 15, 2005 by Philippine President Arroyo. It is also believed that the modern yo-yo, which originated in the Philippines, was invented in Paete.
Many descendants of these skillful artisans have found a niche in the culinary world. Ice sculptures and fruit and vegetable carvings done by dexterous hands of Paeteños abound on buffet tables of cruise ships and world-class hotels and restaurants. Today the town thrives mainly on the sale and export of woodcarvings and taka (papier maché), tourism, poultry industry, farming and fishing.
Patron Saint St James the Apostle
Feast Day July 25
The land from Punta Inuod to Guinabihan, Banilan is where the first settlers Gat Maitan and his wife Panumbalihan, and Gat Silayan Maginto and his wife Potongan first established themselves. After a series of raids by pirates and Marauders, they moved to the present site of the Poblacion, leaving behind, Chief Maginoong Dalaga, who ruled the place. This accounts why Pakil has two territories on the eastern and western sides of the lake.
When the Spaniards came to the place in 1571, this colony was under the leadership of Gat Paquil whose name was used to name the settlement as "Paquil", which remained during the whole Spanish Regime and early part of the American period. It was changed to "Pakil" by Executive Order No. 77 in 1927.
In 1602, Pakil was attached to Paete as a "Visita". Padre Francisco Barajas, exerted efforts to separate this town from Paete, and Don Diego Jorge became the first Capitan Barangay on May 12, 1676.
Pakil was named as an independent town during the Spanish regime with the Capitan at the helm of the local government, the last of whom was Capitan Nicolas Regalado.
With the change of government from Spanish to American, and the organization of the Civil Government in the country in 1901, Bernardo Gonzales was appointed the first Municipal President until November 25, 1903, and by Public Law No. 1009, Pakil was fused with Pangil. On October 1, 1927, by virtue of Executive Order No. 77, Pakil was restored to being a separate town.
In 1942, the Japanese troops occupied in Pakil, Laguna.
In 1945, the liberated from the Philippine Commonwealth forces entering in Pakil, Laguna with the Filipino guerrillas against the Japanese forces during the Second World War.
In 1954, the sitios known as Casa Real, Casinsin and Kabulusan were converted into barrios.[Durado followed suit in 1957.
Patron Saint St.Peter of Alcantara
Feast Day October 19
Pangil is a 4th class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. According to the latest census, it has a population of 23,421 people in 4,160 households
Panguil (pronounce as Pangil) was founded in 1579 by two Franciscan missionaries. The town's name is believed to have come from three coincidental circumstances: One historical version was that it was named after the fang of a wild boar called "Panguil" in the vernacular; another version accounts to the first native inhabitants of the place called "Panguilagan"; and the third version relates about the place being once dominated by the first pre-Spanish chieftain named Gat Paguil. It is now entorely owned by the University of San Carlos based in Cebu.
Panguil (pronounce as Pangil) is politically subdivided into 8 barangays.
Balian,Dambo,Galalan,Isla (Pob.),Mabato-Azufre,Natividad (Pob.)
San Jose (Pob.),Sulib (Pob.)
Patron saints Our Lady of Nativity
Feast Day Sep 8
Siniloan is a 2nd class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. According to the latest census, it has a population of 34,877 people in 6,159 households.
Sinilóan lies between the plains of Sierra Madre Mountain and the Laguna de Bay, it is about 84 kilometres from Manila, passing Manila East Road or Marcos Highway, and about 113 kilometres via the South Luzon Expressway passing the town of Santa Crúz, the capital of the province.
Sinilóan is also a center of education, commerce and transportation, serving towns in easternLaguna and some towns from the provinces of Quezon and Rizal. The municipality has active business and trade activities.
Siniloan is politically subdivided into 20 barangays. Of these, 13 are classified as urban and 7 are classified as rural.
Acevida ,Bagong Pag-Asa (Pob.) ,Bagumbarangay (Pob.)
,Buhay, Gen. Luna, Halayhayin, Mendiola, Kapatalan
Laguio, Liyang, Llavac ,Pandeño, Magsaysay, Macatad,
Mayatba, P. Burgos ,G. Redor (Pob.),Salubungan, Wawa
J. Rizal (Pob.)
Patron Saint Saint Peter and Paul
Feast Day June 29
Sta . Maria
Ang Bayan ng Santa Maria ay isang Ika-apat na klaseng bayan sa lalawigan ng Laguna,Pilipinas. Ayon sa senso noong 2000, may kabuuang populasyon ang bayan na 24,574.
Naghahanggan ang bayan ng Santa Maria sa lalawigan ng Rizal at Quezon mula sa kanlurang bahagi patungong hilaga at dulong hilagang silangang, at binubuo ng mga mabubundok na lupain. Dahil sa Sub-Regional Plan ng MARILAQUE (Manila-Rizal-Laguna-Quezon), nagsisilbi ang bayan bilang pang-ugnay sa industriyalisadong kabisera at ng mayamang buhay karagatan ng lalawigan ng Quezon.
Ang bayan ng Santa Maria ay nahahati sa 25 barangay.
Patron Saints La Inmaculada Concepcion
Feast Day Sep 14
Famy is a 5th class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. According to the latest census, it has a population of 13,577 people in 2,147 households.
Famy lies in the northeastern part of the province of Laguna. It has a total land area of 3.297 square miles (8.54 km2) which is bounded by the town of Real, Quezon, in the east, in the north by Santa Maria, in the west by Mabitac and Sta. Maria, and in the south by Siniloanand Mabitac.
Formerly a barrio of Siniloan in 1910, its name was taken from the family name of the President Emilio Aguinaldo's mother.
Famy is politically subdivided into 20 barangays.
Patron Saint San Sebastian
Feast Day Dec 18
Mabitac is a 5th class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. It was the site of a battle in the Philippine-American War, when on September 17, 1900, Filipinos under GeneralJuan Cailles defeated an American force commanded by Colonel Benjamin F. Cheatham. According to the latest census, it has a population of 17,608 people in 2,990 households.
Mabitac was an excellent hunting ground for wild game three centuries ago. Native hunters used numerous cave-ins or trap-ins called "bitag" in the local dialect. Hence, the place was referred to as "Mabitag" meaning, a place with plenty traps.
Mabitac is situated on the eastern side of the province of Laguna, 54.68 miles from Manilausing Rizal Province on a winding road, and 76.43 miles using the South Luzon Express,Calamba and Santa Cruz, Laguna. It has a total land area 3.912 sq. miles.
The first Spaniards who came to this place were the friars who established the first Spanish settlement in the area and began to Christianize the local population. The Spaniards, having difficulty in pronouncing the "G" consonant, called this place "Mabitac" whenever they mentioned this place. Eventually, the name found its way in the official records and maps of Laguna made by Spanish cartographers and mariners who chartered the coastal areas of Laguna de Bay.
This town was formerly a barrio of Siniloan, an immediate neighboring town. It became an independent municipality only in the year 1611, not by legislation, but by mutual agreement by and between the Spanish friars of both towns who were then the influential ruling class.
Patron Saint Our Lady of Candelaria
Feast Day Feb 2 and August 15
Kalayaan is a 5th class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. According to the latest census, it has a population of 21,203 people in 3,788 households.
Kalayaan is rectangular in shape, with a hilly terrain on most of its eastern side, while relatively flat on its western side. Its highest elevations are from 400 to 418 metres. These are found in Sitio Santo Angel, Malaking Pulo, and Cabuhayan in Barangay San Juan, and Sitio Lamao in Barangay San Antonio. Approximately three fourths of the total land area are with terrain 300 metres above sea level. Its lowest points are from 5 to 20 metres along the western sections of Barangays San Juan and Longos towards Laguna de Bay.
Kalayaan is politically subdivided into 3 barangays,
Patron Saint St.John Evangelist
Feast Day Dec 27
Lumban is a 3rd class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. According to the latest census, it has a population of 28,443 people in 5,456 households. Lumban has an area of 96.08 square kilometers, the fourth largest in Laguna. Lumban is the home of Lake Caliraya, a man-made lake often visited by nature lovers and sports people
Lumban is one of Laguna's oldest towns. It got its name from "lumbang" tree. The province's capital town, Santa Cruz, as well as Cavinti and the famous Pagsanjan, were once part of Lumban. It is where Lake Caliraya is situated. It lies 104 kilometers southeast of Manila, the capital of the country.Lumban is also known as the "Embroidery Capital of the Philippines", fine Jusi and Piña cloth are embroidered by hand, the finished product is worn by males as Barong Tagalog and Saya (Filipiña) by females, it is also being exported. Lumban is also known for the many beautiful designs of shoes, sandals, slippers and step-ins made from local materials. They usually end up in shopping malls in Metro Manila, of course, at slightly higher prices.
Patron Saint San Sebastian Martyr
Feast Day Dec 18
Pagsanjan (pronounced 'Pag-sang-han') is a 2nd class municipality in the province ofLaguna, Philippines. According to the latest census, it has a population of 35,944 people in 7,274 households. It is situated about 92 kilometers south of Manila. The main tourist spot of Pagsanjan is the Pagsanjan Falls or (Magdapio Falls). A particular highlight is the boatride, which passes through 14 rapids maneuvered by boatmen between rocks and boulders, leading to the main falls.
Pagsanjan is the tourist capital of Laguna and the home of the Bankero Festival. The 'bangkeros' are tour guides, who steer the tourists' bancas. They are the boatmen who shoot the rapids all the way to the famous Pagsanjan Falls. The Bankero Festival is celebrated in the month of March.
The incumbent mayor of Pagsanjan, Laguna is Hon. Girlie J. Ejercito, known as former actress Maita Sanchez. She is also the wife of Emilio Ramon "Jorge Estregan, Jr." Ejercito, who served as mayor from 2001–2010 and currently the governor of Laguna.
For 170 years (1688–1858), Pagsanjan was the capital of the province of Laguna. During this long period, the town basked in the magnificent glow of greatness. Pagsanjan bloomed as the commercial, cultural and learning center of the province, and was called the "Athens of Laguna".
Patron saint Our Lady of Guadalupe
Feast Day Dec 12
STA . CRUZ
Santa Cruz is a 1st class urban municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. It is also the capital town of the province of Laguna. According to the latest census, it has a population of 101,914 people in 19,627 households and with a growth rate of 1.37%). Projected population for 2009 is 104,615.
Santa Cruz is situated on the banks of the Santa Cruz River which course its way along the eastern part of the famous Laguna de Bay. The town is bounded by the Bay on the north, by Lumban and Pagsanjan towns in the east, Pagsanjan and Magdalena towns in the south, and Pila and Liliw towns in the west. It is approximately 87 kilometers from Manila via Calamba and 105 km via Pililla, in the province of Rizal. It is accessible by land from the nearby 28 municipalities and by water through Laguna de Bay from Manila and some Rizal towns.
Santa Cruz is considered as the service and commercial center on the eastern part of the province. The town is composed of five barangays in the Poblacion area and 21 classified urban barangays. Although relatively far from the immediate urbanizing influence of Metropolitan Manila, Santa Cruz continues to progress. It is now classified as first class municipality. The present administration is headed by the Honorable Mayor Dennis Panganiban. Santa Cruz is also the seat of the provincial government since 1885, giving the municipality an additional administrative function over the entire province. It also functions as the service center for transportation, commerce, health, education, and other social services for the predominantly rural northeastern municipalities of the province. Boosting the economy of the municipality are the incipient and fast growing agribusiness industries such as livestock raising, horticulture and aquaculture. The town is composed of twenty-six (26) urban barangays. All barangays are being classified as urban.
The development of Santa Cruz as the administrative, commercial, and service center of Laguna makes it accessible for all private/public vehicles going to nearby places particularlyPagsanjan, Lake Caliraya, Liliw, Paete and Nagcarlan.
Patron Saint Our Lady of Maulawin
Feast Day June 4
Cavinti is a 4th class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. It is situated in the foothills of Sierra Madre mountain range, and part of the 4th congressional district of Laguna. According to the latest census, it has a population of 20,469 people in 4,473 households.
The town's name came from the Tagalog expression, "kabit sa binti". The Aetas, the early dwellers of the land, performed a wedding ritual in which the groom chases his bride to the riverbank. The groom will try to capture his bride by her legs ("binti"), with the witnesses shouting, "Kabit sa binti, kabit sa binti!" This phrase later became "Kabinti"; hence the name.
Cavinti is politically subdivided into 19 barangays.
Patron Saint EL Salvador del Mundo
Feast Day August 6
San Pablo City's earliest historical record dates back to pre-Spanish times when four large barrios bounded by Mt. Makiling composed "Sampalok". In 1571, the first Spanish troops under Captain Juan de Salcedo arrived in the upland village of Sampaloc, which became a parish in 1586, and then a municipality in 1647, and was renamed "San Pablo de Los Montes" in honor of Saint Paul the First Hermit. In 1756 it was placed under the jurisdiction ofBatangas province but was returned in 1883 to Laguna province.
In 1899, a municipal government was established, with Innocentes Martinez as municipal president. Marcos Paulino was elected municipal president in 1902 when the civil government was set up. From 1926 to 1940, the people of San Pablo worked for its independence from the province of Laguna. On May 7, 1940, the Charter Bill sponsored by Assemblyman Tomas D. Dizon was approved by Philippine president - Manuel L. Quezon. The bill became known as the City Charter of San Pablo or Commonwealth Act No. 520 - approved by the second Philippine president Manuel L. Quezon.
The city was inaugurated on March 30, 1941, with Dr. Potenciano Malvar as the appointed city mayor, who was a former governor of Laguna province. Dr. Potenciano Malvar was appointed by the second Philippine president Manuel L. Quezon.
Suceeding him 194I as an appointed mayor is Dr. Manuel Quisumbing. Followed by Tomas D. Dizon, 1943 as an appointed mayor. The succeeding mayors were elected after 1955.
Patron Saint St. Paul, First Hermit
Feast Day January 15
Nagcarlan has a total population of 48,727 and a total land area of 11,489.4 hectares which consists of 3 urban barangays and 49 rural barangays. Total agriculltural area is 10,015 hectares or 87.17% of the total land area. Basic crops are coconut, rice, lanzones, coffee, bananas, root crops and vegetables.
Its climatic condition is characterized by two pronounced seasons: dry from February to April and wet from May to January. Temperature is slightly higher than Baguio City. The coolest months are from November to February.
There are a numbers of elegant resorts which offers near-complete amenities for comfort and pleasurable stay. Equally remarkable to see is the grandeur of the age-old underground cemetery and roman catholic church
Not to be missed is the splendor of country living and religious beliefs of rural folks every Friday morning at "Kapilya ni San Jusep". Visit Barangay Sinipian and experience tasting different "kakanins" and other native delicacies.
And finally, explore the bounty and magnificence of eight mountains: Mt. Atimla, Mt. Mabilog, Mt. Nagcarlan, Mt. Malauban, Mt. Lansay, Mt. Bayaquitos, Mt. Cristobal and Mt. Banahaw. There is also a lake we call YAMBO and numerous crystal-clear bodies of water such as rivers and great waterfalls. The most prominent waterfall are the famous Bunga Falls of Nagcarlan.
Patron Saint St.Bartholomew
Feast Day August 24
Pila and adjacent towns along the shores of Laguna de Bay are considered by archaeologists as one of the oldest settlements in the Philippines. The community is one of three such concentrations of population known archaeologically to have been in place before A.D. 1000. Archaeologists recovered in Pinagbayanan potteries and artifacts that indicate considerable settlement in the area during the Late Tang Dynasty (900 A.D.). Archaeologists also recovered ancient horse bones ending the debate on whether the Spaniards brought them or not. The scientists were able to uncover Philippines’ oldest crematorium in the same area. It is worthwhile to note that the oldest Philippine document, the 900 A.D. Laguna Copperplate Inscription, mentioned Pila twice.
The Franciscans arrived in 1578 to evangelize the people of Pila and soon afterwards built a church dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua, the first Antonine house of worship in the Philippines. Due to the nobleness and mildness of the character of its inhabitants, the Spanish leadership honored the town with an exceptional title La Noble Villa de Pila, one of five villas named by the Spaniards in the 16th and 17th century in the Philippines. During this period, the demesne of Pila includes Victoria, Laguna, and Jala-Jala, Rizal.
The Franciscans established in Pila the second printing press in the Philippines and printed in 1613, Philippines’ oldest dictionary and the first book printed using the movable type, the Vocabulario de Lengua Tagala. The book was written and compiled by Fray Pedro de San Buenaventura and printed by Tomas Pinpin, the Prince of Filipino printers. The book is twenty seven years older than the Bay Psalm Book, the first book printed in the United States in 1640.
At the beginning of the 19th century the town was transferred from Pagalangan to the present site of Santa Clara because of perennial flooding.
Patron Saint San Antonio de Padua
Feast Day June 13
Victoria is a 4th class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. According to the latest census, it has a population of 33,829 people in 6,128 households.
It is southeast of Laguna de Bay, 90 km south of Manila and bordered by the Municipality ofCalauan to the southwest, Nagcarlan to the southeast and Pila to the northeast. The municipality has a total land area of 22.83 square kilometres which is 1.30% of the total land area of the province of Laguna.
Prominent citizens and civic leaders find new hope to make Nanhaya a town, when the Americans granted the Philippine Independence in 1946. They revived the move to separate from Pila. This time citizens proposed to name the town Trinidad, after the young republic’s First Lady, the wife of then President Manuel Roxas. Strong oppositions shelved the proposal once more.
After Roxas’ death, Elpidio Quirino took over the presidency. Nanhaya’s residents remained undaunted. They tried once more, intensifying the campaign. Most prominent and wealthiest family of the town is the Fernandez clans, Judge Jose Fernandez, then Mayor Alejandro Fernandez, Atty. Ramon H. Fernandez, Sr., Andres Franco, Dr. Agrifino Oca, Gregorio Herradura and Leonardo Rebong stood for the proposal. Victoria was a barrio of Pila until November 15, 1949 when President Elpidio Quirino signed into effect EO 282 segregating this barrio and 8 others into an independent community. Its name was adopted from President Quirino's daughter Victoria Quirino. 
After Pateros, Metro Manila became highly urbanized and densely populated, Victoria became a destination of balut traders and became the Duck Raising Center of the Philippines. The town was featured as the detour challenge of Leg 11 of the 5th Season of theAmazing Race. Victoria celebrate their Itik Festival every last week of April.
Patron Saint La Ressurection
Bay is one of the oldest towns in Laguna province, and was the province's first capital. Its original territory covered the areas that are now known as Los Baños and Calauan (in addition to its current territory). The Spaniards pronounced the name of the town “Bah-ee” while the natives called it “Bah-eh.” Either way, the similarity in spelling has led to the misconception that the town was named after Laguna de Bay. Instead, the Spaniards named the lake after this ancient Tagalog community.
In the old Tagalog language the name Bay derives from the same phonetic roots as "baybay" (shore) and as "babae" (woman) and "babaylan" (priestess). The name can thus be thought of either as a reference to the shore of the lake, or to a great lady. In the case of the latter, it has been suggested that the great lady might be the same as Maria Makiling, as her mountain was within the scope of Bay's original territory.
A more recent legend of Bay's origin says that the name Bay was derived from Datu Pangil's three daughters. After they were baptized, they were named Maria Basilisa, Maria Angela, and Maria Elena. The first letters of Basilisa, Angela, Elena were taken together and readBae. Over a period of time, Bae became Bay.
The powerful Gat Pangil was Datu of this already thriving community in 1571 when 18 year-old Spanish Capitan Juan de Salcedo landed with Augustinian missionaries Alfonso de Alvarado and Diego Espinar came to claim the territories for Spain. It was salcedo who took the name of the town and named the lake after it - Laguna de Bay, the Lake of the Town of Bay. Eventually, the Spanish came to call the whole province “La Provincia de la Laguna de Bay.”
In 1581, Bay became the capital of the Province of Laguna de Bay and remained so until 1688 when the capital was moved to Pagsanjan.
Patron Saint Saint Augustine of Hippo
Feast Day August 28
The Nature and Science City of Los Baños is a 1st class urban city in the province ofLaguna, Philippines. According to the latest census, it has a population of 98,631 inhabitants in 17,030 households. It has a total land area of 56.5 square kilometers and is bordered on the south and southwest by Mount Makiling, on the north by Laguna de Bay, on the northwest by Calamba City and on the east by the town of Bay. The town is located 63 kilometers southeast of Manila and is accessible via the South Luzon Expressway.
The town lies on the northern slopes of the long dormant volcano Mount Makiling and is known among tourists for its hot spring resorts that dot the area. Los Baños also hosts theUniversity of the Philippines, along with other foreign and local and international research centers, such as the International Rice Research Institute, the ASEAN Center for Biodiversity, the Philippine Rice Research Institute, Philippine Carabao Center at UPLB, and SEAMEO-SEARCA, making the town a temporary home for tens of thousands of undergraduate and graduate students, researchers and expatriates.
Aside from its importance in academics, science and research, Los Baños is a well-known tourist destination. Because of the town's proximity to Metro Manila, Los Baños' hot springresorts are frequent weekend or summer getaways for residents of the vast metropolis and tourists from other places in the Philippines and abroad. Tourists who visit Los Baños also come to the several native delicacies stores in the town to buy the town's famous Buko pie(coconut meat pie).
Patron Saint Immaculate Conception
Feast Day December 8
Calamba City is a first class component city located in the province of Laguna, Philippines. Situated only 54 kilometers south of Manila, about an hour by chartered bus, Calamba City is a popular tourist destination with its hot spring resorts, most of the resorts are located in Barangay Pansol and Barangay Bucal. The total count of the resorts in Calamba City is 661. Calamba City is known as the Resort Capital of the Philippines because of the resorts and hot springs located at the City. The Canlubang Golf and Country Club, site of manyPhilippine Opens is also located in Calamba.
According to the latest census, it has a population of 360,281 inhabitants in 58,466 households, making it the most populated town in Laguna province, with San Pedro,Santa Rosa City, Biñan City, and San Pablo City following it as the top 5 municipalities and cities with the highest population in the province. Due to the continuous population growth, Calamba City is experiences heavy traffic at Calamba Crossing area every night. The city is also a part of Laguna West Metro.
Calamba City is also known as the hometown of Dr. Jose Rizal.
Calamba City is the Regional Center of CALABARZON. Declared by Former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo in the Executive Order No. 246, dated October 28, 2003, designated Calamba City as the regional center of CALABARZON. President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo also led the groundbreaking ceremony for the Premier Region's Regional Government Center in Barangay Mapagong, Calamba City last December 11, 2009. Calamba is also an important modern industrial center in the CALABARZON region as shown by the large number of industrial parks and business estates that are located in the city.
Calamba City is also a plastic-free city. By the City Ordinance 10-481 S.2010, this ordinance prohibits the use of plastic bags for dry goods and regulating its utilization for wet goods and prohibiting the use of styrofoam in the City of Calamba and prescribing penalties.
Patron Saint San Juan Bautista
Feast Day January 6
Ang pangalang ginagamit noon ng Cabuyao ay Tabuko, ngunit ito ay nasalin ng mga Kastila bilang Kabuyaw (pinangalan mula sa punong matatagpuan dito).
Pagkatapos ng pag-kolonisa ng Maynila ni Miguel López de Legazpi noong 1570, inutusan niya si Kapitan Juan de Salcedo na sakupin ang lahat ng barangay na nakapalibot sa lawa ng Ba-i, na ngayon ay tinatawag na Lawa ng Bay. Tulad ng Ba-i, na mayaman sa kagubatan at may klimang nababagay sa mga pananim, ang Tabuko ay may malawak na kapatagan at inihayag ni Legazpi na ang Tabuko ay gawingencomienda o bayan sa ilalim ni Gaspar Ramirez.
Ang bayan ng Tabuko ay malapit sa gilid ng isang ilog at lawa ng Ba-i at ang mga bangka ang naging pangunahing transportasyon sa bayan. Maraming puno noon ng kabuyaw na tumutubo sa lugar. ang bunga ng kabuyaw ay ginagamit bilang syampu. Kaya nang itanong ng Kastilang mga pari kung ano ang pangalan ng lugar, ang mga katutubong kababaihan ay sinagot ito ng "kabuyaw", na akala ay ang tinatanong nito ay ang mga punong tumutubo as lugar. Simula noon, ang mga pari at mga opisyal na Kastila ay tinawag ang Tabuko bilang Kabuyao.
Patron Saint Saint Vincent Ferrer
Feast Day April 5
The City of Santa Rosa (Filipino: Lungsod ng Santa Rosa) is a first class city in the province of Laguna, Philippines. It is also known as "The Lion City of the South" since 1994. The city lies 38 kilometers south of Manila via the South Luzon Expressway, making it a suburban residential community of Metro Manila.
This quiet town of Laguna started its progress initially from the establishment of Filsyn, CIGI and couple of other small multinational companies there when the government BOI provided for incentives to companies located at not less than 40 kilometers away from Manila. According to the latest census, City of Santa Rosa has a population of 266,943 inhabitants in 43,625 households, making it the third largest town or city in Laguna after Calamba City, and San Pedro. It is also the densest city in the province with more than 6,000 people per square kilometer.
Santa Rosa was mainly known for the Coca-Cola and Toyota manufacturing plants in its industrial estates. More recently it has also become famous for being the site of Enchanted Kingdom, a local theme park, as well as several housing developments. Santa Rosa is also the exit travellers take along the South Luzon Expressway to go to Tagaytay and Taal Volcano. This city contains the 3rd largest complex in Laguna, Paseo de Santa Rosa. Santa Rosa became a city by virtue ofRepublic Act No. 9264, which was ratified by the citizens on July 10, 2004.
In 2009, presence of Nuvali in Santa Rosa is making a huge impact in terms of putting the city in forefront of green development with functional living as seen on their Solenad area at Lake Evozone
Patron Saint Santa Rosa De Lima
Feast Day August 24
The City of Biñan (In Filipino: Lungsod ng Biñan) is a first class component cityin the Republic of the Philippines. It is located in the Province of Laguna, in the island of Luzon, and also accessible from Metro Manila via the South Luzon Expressway, Biñan City has become both a suburban residential community of Metro Manila and a location for some of the Philippines' largest industrial estatesand export processing zones. Before it was converted into a city, Biñan was the richest municipality in the Philippines with an annual gross income of ₱677 million and net income of ₱250 million, as of 2007 by the Commission On Audit. According to the latest census, it has a population of 262,735 in 42,307 households, making it the third largest in population in the province of Laguna, after Calamba City, and San Pedro.
Biñan City comes second in Laguna coming from Metro Manila next to San Pedro. The city is one of three comprising the first congressional district of Laguna (San Pedro and Santa Rosa City are the others).
Where Biñan got its name is a mystery. Some deduced that before Salcedo proceeded toCainta and Taytay finally reaching Bay, he landed in Biñan. According to the story, Padres Alfonso de Alvarado and Diego Espinar planted a huge wooden cross on the spot where the present day Don Isidro Labrador parish stands and co-celebrated a Thanksgiving Mass. Curious natives gathered and the two Spanish missionaries took advantage of the situation. They baptized each one of them. From then on, old folks say they called the place “Binyagan,” which means a baptismal place. The Spanish tongue’s difficulty in pronouncing the local dialect acquired for the once town its name— "Biñan".
When the seat of the provincial government of the Provincia dela Laguna de Bay was moved from Bay to Pagsanjan in 1688, Biñan separated from its mother town Tabuco (nowCabuyao).
Feast day January 24
The City of San Pedro is a first class Municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. It is named after its patron saint, Saint Peter. San Pedro is Laguna's gateway to Metro Manilasince it lies on the boundary with Muntinlupa City, Metro Manila's southernmost city. This position makes San Pedro a popular suburban residential community, where many residents commute daily for work in Metro Manila. According to the latest census, it has a population of 281,808 inhabitants in 48,341 households.
Aside from being a primarily suburban community, San Pedro also hosts a large number of factories. Among them include PDM, Alaska Milk Corporation and General Milling Corporation.
Despite being the smallest city of the first district of Laguna and the third smallest in the entire province, with a total land surface area of only 24.05 km2, San Pedro has the highest population density in the province and is ranked as the second most populous city after Calamba City.
San Pedro became a town on January 18, 1725, when the Spanish King, Charles II, decreed that the town, formerly known as "Tabuko", be a separate town from "Kabullaw", now known as Cabuyao. By virtue of the last will of Philip V of Spain, Rodriguez de Figueroa or "Don Esteban", a group of Augustinian Fathers gained the ownership of the Tunasán Estate. Later on, San Pedro became an hacienda of Colegio de San José, a group of Jesuits friars who took over the property which now is known as "San Pedro Tunasán". "Tunasán" came from "Tunás" a medicinal plant, abundant on shoreline area. During that period, agriculture, fishing, duck raising, fruit trees, sampaguita were the main source of income of its residents. This period was highlighted by the growing tenant/landlord dispute. The tenants of Hacienda San Pedro Tunasán fought for their birthrights over their ancestral lands. This struggle took almost 423 years of unsuccessful resistance to Colegio de San José, and in 1938, the government bought the homesites of the San Pedro Tunasán Hacienda from the Colegio for re-sale to its tenants. This event laid to rest the tenants/landlord problem in the town.
Patron Saint Sto. Sepulcro
Feast Day November 2
Magdalena was formerly a barrio of Majayjay, Laguna. A petition from the residents of the barrio for the creation of a new town was presented on September 15, 1819. It was proclaimed a new town by Governor General Don Mariano Fernández de Folgueras on January 18, 1820, and was originally named "Magdalena de Ambling". The name was derived from its patron saint Maria Magdalena and the barrio of Ambling where it was established. The first Teniente Alcalde or Capitan (the highest political authority in a town) was Don Mauricio San Mateo.
They first established a makeshift school in 1820, which was the very first requirement for it to be a town. The municipal hall was also constructed. A small chapel was also constructed and it gave way to the construction of a church in 1829. The church was made of stones and bricks and donations were solicited from the residents. The construction was finished in 1861. The construction of the concrete town hall and the church convent started in 1871, and was finished in 1884.
The revolt against the Spaniards in this area started on November 13, 1896, when the male residents joined the revolutionaries from the province to form a bigger force. It was during one of the encounters that Emilio Jacinto was wounded and sought refuge at the Catholic Church.
Emilio Aguinaldo, then, proclaimed the first Philippine Republic and the Spaniards finally surrendered on September 1, 1898, and celebrations followed.
The arrival of the Americans, at the turn of the century, witnessed the evacuation of the townsfolk to the mountains for fear of being killed, later returned to the Poblacion seeing that the foreigners were well-intentioned.
Patron saint Saint Mary Magdalene
Feast Day July 22
During the 17th century, there was an area of land in Laguna known as Terreno de Nasúnog(Lupaín ng Nasúnog in Tagalog). In 1678, Terreno de Nasúnog was divided into three parts: Nasúnog de Calamba, Nasúnog de Cavinti, and Nasúnog de Majáyjay.
Nasúnog de Majáyjay later became the town of Luisiana. It was only on April 3, 1854 that ecclesiastical independence was granted to Nasúnog by the Governor-General (the Marqués de Novaliches) with the corresponding approval from the Archbishop of Manila, having Don Marcos Bartolomé as its first interim parish priest. Because of the role of Don Luis Bernárdo and his wife Doña Ana, the town was named 'Luis y Ana', later changed to 'Luisiana'.
In 1948, Visita de Luisiana gained civil independence from Majáyjay.
In 1903, the towns of Cavinti and Luisiana were combined, Pedro Villanueva of Cavinti was elected mayor and it was during his term that the Aglipay Church was founded in April, 1904. The Romana family funded the construction of a couple of Protestant churches. However, on November 12, 1907 under the leadership of Don Blas Oración, through the Civil Commission, Cavinti and Luisiana became independent towns.
Luisiana is a 4th class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. According to the latest census, it has a population of 19,255 people in 4,556 households. Locals called the town Little Baguio of Laguna because of its high elevation and cold climate.
Patron Saint Our Lady of The Holy Rosary
Feast Day October 9
Majayjay is a 4th class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. It is located at the foot of Mt. Banahaw, and stands 1,000 feet above sea level. One hundred twenty kilometers south of Manila, it is bounded by the municipality of Magdalena on the north, by Lucban in Quezon province on the south, by Luisiana on the east, and by Liliw on the west. According to the latest census, it has a population of 23,681 people in 4,978 households.
Majayjay was founded in the year 1571 and its name was derived from the word "Ma" which means many. Some say that in the old days, to reach this town of hilly terrain, one had to pant, saying "hay, hay" (which means "sigh") and later the name became Majayjay.
If Cavinti, Laguna has the Pagsanjan Falls, Majayjay has the Taytay Falls. Others call it the Majayjay Falls or even Imelda Falls, because ex-First Lady Imelda Marcos financed the promotion of tourism in this place. It is a two-storey high falls located in a remote scenery where the forestry is abundant. To reach Taytay Falls, one has to go down the stone steps leading to a kilometer-long trail. Constructed in 2008, during the past, reaching Taytay Falls is a very hard task, as there were no marked trails during that time. Recently, the World Bank has sponsored the promotion of tourism in Taytay Falls.
Patron saint St. Gregory the Great
Feast Day March 12
Liliw is a 4th class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. It is one of the highland towns forming the southern extremity of the province. According to the latest census, it has a population of 32,727 people in 6,205 households.
Liliw has a total land area of 88.5 sq. miles. It is bounded on the northwest by Sta. Cruz; northeast by Magdalena; on the east by Majayjay; on the west by Nagcarlan; and on the south by Dolores, Quezon.
Liliw is perhaps best known for its cold water spring resorts, native homemade sweets and a sizeable shoe industry that rivals that of Marikina City.
Founded in 1571 by Gat Tayaw, the small town of Liliw is nestled at the foot of Mt. Banahaw, 17 kilometers away from Santa Cruz, Laguna's capital.
According to a story, Liliw got its name from a bird. It was said that Gat Tayaw and his followers decided to erect a bamboo pole and to name the town after the bird that would first alight at the top of the pole within four days. A crow, however, was the first bird to alight on the pole. A crow was considered bad and so Gat Tayaw and his men moved south and erected another bamboo pole. A beautiful bird alighted on the pole and sang, "Liw, Liw, Liw". Thus the town became Liliw.
Throughout the Spanish regime, the name Liliw was used. When the Americans came, it became Lilio since the Americans found it easier to pronounce it than Liliw. However, on June 11, 1965, the municipal council passed Resolution No. 38-S-65 which declared Liliw as the official name and spelling of the town. This was to avoid confusion in pronouncing and spelling the name of the town.
Patron Saint San Isidro Labrador
Feast Day May 15
Calauan is a 3rd class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. According to the latest census, it has a population of 54,248 people in 8,818 households.
The town got its name from the term kalawang, which means rust. Calauan is known for the Pineapple Festival, which is celebrated every May.
In 1993, the town became the focus of media attention when Antonio Sánchez, who was currently serving as mayor at the time, got involved into a double murder case involving twoUPLB students. Sánchez and several other men were given a life sentence.
The Patron of Calauan is Saint Isidore the Laborer, the patron of farmers.
Calauan's population is expected rise as the town is being used as resettlement of informal settlers in Metro Manila through the Bayan ni Juan and the Kapit-Bisig Para sa Ilog Pasig project of the ABS-CBN Foundation.
The Hidden Valley Springs, a popular hot spring resort, although its entrance is situated in the adjacent town of Alaminos, is actually within Calauan's boundaries.
Balayhangin, Bangyas, Dayap, Hanggan, Imok, Lamot 1, Lamot 2,
Limao, Mabacan, Masiit, Paliparan, Perez, Kanluran (Pob.)
Silangan (Pob.), Prinza, San Isidro, Santo Tomas
Patron Saint Saint Isidore the Laborer
Feast day May 15
Rizal is a 5th class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. It is a landlocked municipality of located 15.53 miles from the provincial capital Santa Cruz and is bounded on the north by municipality of Calauan, on the east by Nagcarlan, on the west by San Pablo City, and on the south by Dolores, Quezon. According to the latest census, it has a population of 15,459 people in 2,770 households. This municipality was named after José Rizal, the country's national hero.
From San Pablo is a downhill road leading to Rizal. Rizal is one of the youngest towns in Laguna although it has long been sitting there amidst coconut trees, hiding in the shadows of Mount San Cristobal, Mount Banahaw, and Mount Basilin. Kaingeros, must have settled only on this plot of land during the early 17th century. Maybe only during the time Nagcarlan was building its town hall in the mid 1800 did this small village then called “Pauli” became a barrio of Nagcarlan.
Residents say that the name of this sleepy village got its name from the character of a brook at the edge of the settlement, whose stream flows back and forth. “Pauli,” must have come from the Tagalog word “Pauli-uli,” which means back and forth.
Ever since, local villagers earn their living by farming. Natural springs in almost every corner of the village make settlers enjoy bountiful harvests of coconuts, root crops, vegetables, and rice. Locales also thrive by fishing from nearby rivers and Lake Calibato, one of San Pablo’s seven lakes.
It was only during the American regime did Pauli become a town, independent from Nagcarlan. The American Federal Government named Pedro Urrea the municipal president. Nevertheless, Pauli’s township lasted only for a brief two years. Its inability to support its administrative expenses caused Pauli to affiliate once more with its former mother town.
Patron Saint St. Michael the Archangel
Feast day September 29
Alaminos is a 3rd class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. According to the latest census, it has a population of 40,380 people in 7,466 households. It has a land area of 21.11 square miles (54.7 km2) and is situated 48.5 miles (78.1 km) southeast of Manila. Located at northeast of Sto. Tomas in Batangas Province, south of Calauan and Bay, and west of San Pablo City.
Alaminos began as a barrio of San Pablo City, which was then only a town belonging to the province of Batangas. It was re-annexed as barrio of San Pablo which was then ceded to the province of Laguna in 1902. It was not until about that Alaminos regained its status as a town and remained within the political territory of Laguna. The municipality got its name after Spanish governor-general Juan Alaminos y Vivar.
Del Carmen, Palma, Barangay I (Pob.), Barangay II (Pob.),
Barangay III (Pob.), Barangay IV (Pob.), San Agustin, San Andres
San Benito, San Gregorio, San Ildefonso, San Juan, San Miguel
San Roque, Santa Rosa
Patron Saint Virgen Del Pilar
Feast day October 8